Thursday, June 21, 2007

I was on the bus today, going home, when a old lady came into the bus. She sat across the aisle from me. The bus-money collector came to collect our fare. Now, Metrobus charge us RM0.90 one way, and usually I'd pay in RM1 notes. When I gave my RM1 today, the bus collector asked "Ada sepuluh sen tak?" I shook my head. Then he turned to collect the fare from the old lady. He asked her the same question. She look at him bewildered. My sixth sense made me take my purse out and dig out 10 sens to give the bus collector. In return he gave me 20sens change and gave the old lady my 10sens. As he left, he said loudly (I could hear him over my mp4) "lu orang tua tak boleh dengar lagi."!!!! Whatever happened to 'respect the old"??? He was so rude to say that to the old lady! All I could do was to give an apologetic smile to the old lady. No wonder we Malaysians are so rude, if we can't even be courteous to old folks. We are spoiling the image of our country, what with some taxi drivers cheating foreigners and rude youngsters despoiling the nature. Change your attitudes!! This is Visit Malaysia Year 2007, not Rosak Image Malaysia Year 2007!!! No amount of advertising can help us if we negate the beautiful image of Malaysia that the government puts out. When I was in Spain, many of the people I know were very interested in Malaysia, even though they had never heard of the country before I told them about it. But it is a sad thing that behind the innocent picture they have in their mind there lurks a morass of garbage.

No comments: