Monday, December 1, 2008

There's probably no one reading this blog anymore. Especially since I don't update regularly. There's not much excitement in my life, or rather, not much that is exciting to you, my readers. My life in Melb is divided between lectures, assignments, college activities and my friends. I don't do clubbing, and outings with friends are just to restaurants where invariably we'd forget to take pictures of the food and dig in as soon as the dishes arrives.

If I can say what was the best moments in Melbourne, it would be:

1. Making two new friends at orientation who later became my good friends.


2. Making a whole group of friends over at college during Easter Break over games of Catan and Dungeons & Dragons.

3. Going to Melbourne U and living independently. I probably have it easy, staying at a residential college, IH. I have no need to cook and clean, and pretty much everything is provided. However, I still need to do my own laundry, clean my own room and pick up after myself (LOL!). And there's the whole time management thing, the importance of which I discovered the week I had to attend Play practices at night, sew a pair of furry gloves, study for 2 tests and do an assignment due that week with my group on top of going to lectures and tutorials in the morning!

4. Coming to International House. The first week there was a killer, with non-stop activities and lack of sleep. But after the hectic O-week life slowed down, and I made many new friends. There are many event at IH that really enlivens the atmosphere, and I really like how we get to do what we're good in, whether it is singing, dancing, making decorations, or dealing with lights!

5. The Catan games we used to play like crazy. By introducing myself in the first week as a Catan player, I got introduced to the seniors who played it as well. Need more players to make up a game? Give me a call at ext 435. We even have a group on Facebook, where active players get titles for their playing styles. There used to be an elite group as well, made up of those who managed to win Catan games. They can then play the expansion set, Catan: Cities and Knights, a harder version of Catan. I nearly cried during a basic game of Catan when Vong led all the other players against me to prevent me from getting my first win. But I managed to win the game, and managed to be the first serious female player in the group.

6. Eating out. Me and my friends would go out to find good cheap eating spots in Melbourne. We've had all sorts of food together with good times.


7. Lastly, playing games. Whether playing with friends on Ian's Xbox 360, or roleplaying in D&D, or even playing Magic TCG, it has been fun and very enjoyable. It's not playing that makes it fun, it's the people you do it with.


My first year of U is now over. Does anyone realise that one Uni year is only 8 months long? The rest of the year is a holiday. So many things have happened that make me feel: I really am lucky.

1 comment:

eccles said...

*random visitor plug*
If you're in Melbourne around the end of January, you could come to Arcanacon, a roleplaying convention in Collingwood :)